Scholastic Writing Awards Contest
Program and Submission Information
Events and Celebrations
Contacts and Sponsors
Student Instructions for Preparing Manuscripts for Submission:
(download a PDF copy of the following instructions)
Following are the requirements for Writing Submissions:
- LENGTH: See Writing Individual Categories: Descriptions and Special Instructions for details.
- PRINTING AND FONT: All submissions must be printed in black ink in either Arial 12 pt. or Times New Roman 12 pt.
- MARGINS: 1” on top, bottom, left and right (except for poetry).
- SPACING: Double-spaced (except for poetry) and single-sided on 8.5”x11” white paper.
- TITLES: Titles of each work should appear at the top of the first page only. Do not use a separate title page. Poems should be titled individually.
- NO STUDENT NAME: The student’s name and/or the school name must NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript itself. Names are only indicated on the submission form.
- NO ACCOMPANYING IMAGES: Do not include illustrations, photographs or graphics.
- CWA SUBMISSION COVER PAGE: Attach 1 copy of the CWA Submission Cover Page. Do not bind or enclose in a folder.
- ONLINE SUBMISSION/SIGNATURE FORM: Obtain required signatures from a teacher and parent/guardian on the submission/signature forms. Students, teachers and parents/guardians should carefully review the Authorship and Plagiarism and Copyright Release sections. By signing, students, teachers and parents/guardians agree to the terms presented in the Authorship and Plagiarism and Copyright Release sections. Parent signatures are not required if the student is over 18 years old. Online submission/signature forms must be stapled to the writing in the upper left corner. Longer submissions should be stapled with an industrial stapler, which can be found in a local or school library, a photocopy center or office supply store.
Additional Portfolio Requirements:
In addition to the above, seniors submitting Portfolios must include:
- PORTFOLIO OF THREE TO EIGHT WORKS: Must include three to eight manuscripts.
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: No more than 500 words focusing on why works were chosen for inclusion and addressing the author’s approach to writing.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS: Listing the title and category of each piece.
- SEALED LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
A Final Writing Submission Includes:
- Include 2 copies of each printed manuscript to be submitted that conform to the formatting requirements above.
- Include 1 copy of completed CWA Submission Cover Page and the signed online submission/signature form stapled in the upper left hand corner, on each copy of the submission.
- All of the above must be included in a 9”x12” manila envelope.
- Do not fold submissions.